Monday, May 10, 2010

A Mother's Day Reflection


As I was enjoying some quiet time on Mother's Day I began thinking about the transformation I have experienced as a Mom. What has been the biggest impact?
As I reflected I remembered the first few years of Benjamin's life and not wanting to leave him in fear that I would miss something. As a full time working Mom I wanted to get "my fix" with my little guy and that meant spending each and every moment outside of work with him. That's what a "good" Mom does was the limited belief I was carrying around.

After years of trying to beat the clock it got the best of me. I was exhausted and lost my sense of individuality. The role of Mom had become my identity.
Guilt ridden but knowing that self-care needed to be at the top of my priority list I joined a few Yoga classes. The first few times I left the house were not easy, especially when Benjamin was crying and didn't want me to leave.

What I know for sure is that when I take the time to rejuvenate and connect with myself I am better able to be the Mom I want to be for my children.
A win-win for all of us!

In honor of Mother's Day I am offering a free copy of The Mothers Guide to Self-Renewal to the 50th person who becomes a fan. This resource has changed my life so much that I have become a Personal Renewal Group Facilitator and want to share this manual with one of you.

What is your favorite self-care ritual?

1 comment:

  1. I think there is an irony in motherhood. It is so hard to let go, but independence is needed by both parent and child. Hard to cope sometimes without feeling confused.

    ReplyDelete